Monday, January 3, 2011

Read, read, read...


When you compose music, the rule is simple: don't listen to music while you're at it. If you feel as though you have to, at least choose music that is fundamentally different from the stuff you're composing.
When you write prose: do read a lot. You aren't as likely to unconsciously steal stuff as you are with the abstract melodies and harmonies of music.
I find this part of the process to be quite time-consuming, but I don't get anything done without it.
I'm reading stuff that I can compare to my story in one way or another.
And I have made a list of the novels I've been reading since I started on this project.
I have written a few notes with each book; they are not really reviews but comments as how they connect to my story, why I read them and what I learned from them.
It's mostly science fiction, but some are as far from science fiction you could possibly get.
I devoted a page of it's own for this.

No comments: